Outsource your math to Mathieu Bouville, PhD
Consultant in mathematical modeling, numerical simulations,
algorithms, optimization and quantitative programming
Modeling, simulations, algorithms, optimization, numerical programming, writing
Start-ups and other small companies do not always have the necessary in-house capabilities to meet all their mathematical and programming needs. I have a PhD and over a decade of experience in
- mathematical modeling, numerical simulations, algorithms, optimization and quantitative programming in fields as varied as applied physics, investing, sport and sustainability;
- scientific and financial writing and translation (French ↔ English).
Ce que j'écris en anglais, je peux aussi l'écrire en français
When mathematics met programming
- Mathematical modeling: the art and science of turning a real-world situation into mathematical equations;
- Applied math: solving these equations (when possible);
- Numerical simulations: when problems are too complicated for an exact solution to exist;
- Algorithms: telling your computer how to solve your problem;
- Optimization: doing things better (be it more profits or less CO2);
- Quantitative programming: when your code needs to efficiently carry out heavy calculations.
- I have extensive writing experience: I wrote a dissertation (in English) and a book (in French), scientific articles and finance articles, but also papers on ethics (on plagiarism and whistle-blowing for instance) — see my publications at http://mathieu.bouville.name/en/research.html;
- I have experience as a reviewer for scientific journals, and can help with the editing of articles;
- I can translate scientific and technical documents between English and French.
Applied physics, investing, sport, sustainability, etc.
Materials science and applied physics
My PhD (at the University of Michigan, in the U.S.) and then my work as a researcher in Singapore and at the University of Cambridge were mathematical modeling and numerical simulations in materials science and applied physics:
- effect of stress on point defects in semiconductors [molecular dynamics];
- pit formation in semiconductor thin films [paper and pen];
- interplay between martensite and pearlite formation in steel [phase-field, PRL 97, 055701 (2006)];
- improving the stability of polycrystalline thin films [phase-field, PRL 98, 085503 (2007)];
- faster (factor 100) method to predict polymer glass-transition temperatures [Monte Carlo].
Investing and personal finance
- I am the author of the book "Votre argent mérite de vous rapporter plus" as well as of articles on investing and personal finance for a broad audience at http://mathieu.bouville.name/en/finance/articles/;
- I modeled stock–bond portfolios (github.com/m-bouville/investing-by-numbers);
- I wrote the article "Long-term stock investments should last three decades" (http://ssrn.com/abstract=2739602);
- I designed and implemented a personal finance simulation tool which includes Monte Carlo simulations.
- mathematical work on smart electric grids and demand response;
- optimizing the energy efficiency of plants;
- statistical study of the energy use of buildings;
- articles on renewable energy and energy savings.
About anything else
I like using mathematical and statistical methods to get insight into about anything:
Tell me what is of interest to you.
© Mathieu Bouville, March 2017